Have you ever had a craving for dessert for breakfast? These Carrot Cake Pancakes are the perfect solution. I’ve added some lovely warm spices to my brown sugar pancakes and then loaded them with grated carrots. Of course you can’t have carrot cake without cream cheese frosting so I’ve drizzled some right on top!
The Hubs and I are terrible food wasters. I know! It’s one of the worst habits a person can have, but we just can’t seem to figure it out. I get these grand ideas for delicious meals, go out and buy loads of ingredients, and then always struggle with what else to make with the ingredients that are left.
Well recently I bought a package of matchstick carrots. We had had them as a side at a nice restaurant so I wanted to recreate them at home. But for two people we only needed about half the bag. I didn’t want to make the same side dish again right away so I was stuck trying to come up with another use for them.
Carrot cake was an obvious solution but I’m not much of a baker unless a shortcut is involved. Since it was the weekend my mind naturally wandered to thinking about breakfast.
As much as I love a good savory breakfast (see here and here), I generally go for aaalll the sweets for my morning meals. French toast, cinnamon rolls, waffles, anything chocolately (see here)….my sweet tooth needs to be fed first thing in the morning.
Carrot Cake Pancakes it is!
I started with my recipe for brown sugar pancakes (originally found here), then I added everything else needed to make carrot cake: cinnamon, ginger, allspice and of course the carrots.
Since my carrots were already in matchsticks, I used my food processor to grate them. If you’re starting with whole carrots you could easily use a box grater. I also gave them a quick zap in the microwave to cook them a little since the pancakes aren’t on the heat very long and you don’t want to be crunching into raw carrots in your pancakes.
For the icing you’ll need to soften some cream cheese. Then you sweeten it with powdered sugar, flavor it with a splash of vanilla, and thin it out with milk. Super simple.
So what about you? Are you big on savory or sweet for breakfast? If you lean towards the sweet side, you’ll love these Carrot Cake Pancakes with cream cheese icing. Add a side of crispy bacon and you have a complete sweet AND savory breakfast feast! That way everybody wins 🙂
- 1 c grated carrots
- 1 egg
- 3/4 c milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 2 T, heaping, brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1 c flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 T butter, melted
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 T powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 T milk
- Grate carrots before you measure them
- Add carrots and 1 T of water to small microwave safe bowl
- Microwave for 45 seconds
- Drain off the water and set aside
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the milk until egg until foamy
- Add the vanilla, brown sugar, and spices; whisk well
- Stir in the carrots
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt; whisk until just combined
- While whisking, stream in melted butter until combined
- Heat a nonstick frying over meium heat (let the batter rest while pan heats)
- When the pan is hot, add a small amount of butter or cooking spray
- Add about 1/3 c batter to pan
- Cook pancakes until bubbles pop leaving holes on the surface and edges look dry, about 90 secs to 2 min
- Flip and cook 1 min on other side
- Continue with all batter
- Add soft cream cheese to small bowl
- Mix in powdered sugar and vanilla
- Slowly mix in milk until the icing is desired consistency
- Drizzle or spread over hot pancakes
- Serve immediately