The perfect appetizer for pickle lovers everywhere. Fried Pickle Bites are easy to make and fun to eat! Crunchy on the outside, juicy on the inside with a surprise of gooey cheese, these little bundles are just what you want to serve with cocktails at a dinner party, or to pass around at your next game night… And you only need three ingredients to put together this bite size delight!
Before we go any further, I gotta admit, I totally ripped off this recipe from one of North Dakota’s best restaurants, The Toasted Frog. The Toasted Frog is a wonderful date night destination and a required go-to for any girls’ night out. And when you mention the restaurant to anyone who lives in Bismarck or Grand Forks, two things generally come up right away: their awesome martini menu and their fried pickles appetizer!
The Martini Menu has over 30 specialty martinis, each one garnished with an edible flower, which I love. There is a martini to suit everyone’s taste! And while your sipping away, it’s always nice to have a little something crispy and crunchy to nibble on, right? So you order the Fried Cheesy Pickles!
Juicy, sour pickle spears, draped in a blanket of buttery Havarti cheese, all wrapped up in a delicate dough and fried until they’re golden brown and crispy…. simply heavenly…
Because these addictive little appetizers are only three ingredients, I figured making them at home would be pretty straight forward. They were actually one of my first creations I made when I got my deep fat fryer for Christmas a few years back 🙂 I “splurged” on some high(er) quality pickle spears… you know, the ones in the cooler by the deli, not the ones from the ketchup aisle. Then I grabbed slices of Havarti and some egg roll wrappers. Simple stuff.
But my “high quality” pickle spears were pretty massive. They wrapped up just fine and fried up nice and golden brown like I wanted…but that was a lot of sour pickle to get through and not much of that oh-so-satisfying crunch you crave while sipping cocktails. So I changed it up and created Fried Pickle Bites instead using won-ton wrappers and chopping the pickle spears into bit size pieces.
Besides the pickle to crunch ratio, aren’t bite appetizers just more fun, too? I think so! So turn on your deep fryer, invite over a couple friends, and shake up your favorite martinis. These Fried Pickle Bites will be the life of the party, I promise!
- Won-ton wrappers
- Havarti cheese slices
- Dill pickle spears
- Oil for frying
- Bowl of water for wrapping
- Fill and preheat your deep fat frying according to manufacturer directions to 400 degrees
- While it heats, cut pickle spears into bite size pieces, and tear or cut cheese slices into 1/8s, or just a bit bigger than pickle pieces
- Work on at a time
- Lay out a wrapper, place a small piece of cheese in the center and a pickle bite on top of the cheese
- Use your finger dipped in water to moisten all 4 sides
- Pull up two adjacent corners so they meet and line up, pinch together
- Pull up the opposite two corners in the same way and pinch
- Bring the two pinched corners together in the middle and pinch together
- Try to get as much air as possible out, and pinch together the remaining two seams
- Continue for as many bites as you need
- Once oil is hot, working carefully and slowly, fry just 3 or 4 bites at a time
- Fry for about 1 minute until golden brown and then carefully flip and fry the other side another minute until golden brown
- Once completely golden brown and crispy, lift out the bites and drain on paper towels, continue with the rest of the bites
- Enjoy immediately either plain or with ranch to dip in