Who can say no to snack mix? I know I can’t, especially when it’s my new Honey Mustard Snack Mix. All those different tastes and textures coated in a sweet and salty and spicy flavor explosion. Made in the crock pot, this big batch snack will satisfy your salty crunchy cravings in no time.
I don’t know about you, but I have zero restraint around snack mixes. I always reach for salty crunchy snacks and to have multiple tastes and textures combined into one mix is my ideal snack. And now I’ve finally gotten around to making a version of my very own.
Have you ever tried those flavored pretzels you find in the chip aisle? I really love them, especially the honey mustard flavor, so I was determined to recreate the flavor as a snack mix instead. It doesn’t taste exactly the same, but the honey mustard flavor is there and it is seriously addicting, just like those pretzels.
And using the crock pot to make snack mix is so effortless. It doesn’t heat up your kitchen as much (bonus during these warm months) and it’s much more forgiving than using even a low-temp oven. If you wait 5 or 10 minutes too long before you stir it, you’ll still be a-okay. I’ve made mixes in the oven where they went a little too long and started sticking and burning real quick.
With the crock pot I was able to turn it on and let it rip and then go about my day. Got a chore done, gave it a stir. Watched a TV show, gave it a stir. Called my bestie for a long phone call, gave it a stir. Crock pot cooking is definitely low stress.
This Honey Mustard Snack Mix can be made for just about any occasion. It would be perfect to munch on while sipping some cocktails and waiting for the grill to heat up at your next barbecue. Or how about mixing up a batch on the next rainy day to replace boring ol’ popcorn for a movie night? You’re gonna love this stuff, anytime, anywhere! Just be prepared for it to disappear in the blink of an eye 😉
- 4 c, heaping, corn or rice cereal (Chex or Crispix or similar)
- 2 c, heaping, plain oat cereal (Cheerios)
- 2 c, heaping, pretzel sticks or small twists
- 1 and 1/2 c mixed nuts
- 1/4 c butter, melted
- 1/4 c honey
- 2 T ground dried mustard
- 2 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Add the cereals, nuts and pretzels to a large crock pot
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl
- Add the remaining ingredients (including cayenne if you like a little kick)
- Whisk until fully combined
- Add the sauce to the crock pot and gently stir
- Stir for a good minute to make sure all the mix is coated
- Turn the crock pot on high
- Place a single layer of paper towels over the crock pot and then cover
- Cook on high for about an hour, then remove the lid and towel and stir
- Turn the heat down to low and continue to cook, uncovered for about 2 more hours
- Stir every 30 minutes or so
- Cook until the mix is crispy and dry
- Spread onto cookie sheets and allow to cool
- Store in an air tight container or zip top bags for about 2 weeks
Inspired my Gimme Some Oven. Original recipe here.